Wednesday, June 1, 2011

more amazing stories from the acupuncture clinic

A few days ago, a patient brought in his father.  Father was a life-long sheet metal worker who had developed a cyst on the palmar aspect of his hand.  Several of his fellow workers developed the same thing so it seems to be an occupational hazard.  This cyst prevented him from being able to completely flex two of his fingers.  I put three needles into his foor, and instantly he was able to fully close his fist again.  After the treatment he flexed his hand as he said to his son, "this is amazing.  Look at this.  I haven't been able to do this for over a year."

Then yesterday I had a young man with a strained piriformis muscle.  Piriformis syndrome can present a little like sciatic pain, but it is more constant and achy vs the sudden and electric nature of sciatica.  Lying face up on the table, when I raised his leg up he felt pain at about 20 degrees of hip flexion.  I put four needles into his shoulder and tried the leg again.  Although only 15 seconds had passed, I could raise his leg to about 70 degrees before he felt any discomfort.  And the discomfort he describes as "it just feels like a normal stretch, not anything like an injury". 


I've been doing acupuncture for 12 years no and it still impresses me almost every day.  I feel like I learned how to do magic.  If you have any health issues that you would like to address (physical, mental, or spiritual), visit me in Wilmette at A Center for Oriental Medicine or downtown Chicago at the Tiffani Kim Institute.

Be well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment